Tuesday 2 August 2011

'Water Memory' Remembering to Swim

I continue to explore the waters heading further out to sea, swimming out past the rocks, in and through them and finding more bays, bays that can't be reached by foot.. I'm reminded of the Beach (book) and my own explorations in Thailand over 10 years ago when I was just beginning my journey of dance & the body, this here and now is just the same, the beginning of something new, unknown feels eminent... the sea is so clear and blue..

The current is strong, very strong, I can swim, I'm a confident swimmer but I am nothing against the seas force, I have to work hard, if I was to give into the sea at any point, give my weight like I did in the rock pond I feel I would be dragged away within seconds.. I don't know how I learnt to swim, well I know a lot of my childhood was spent in rivers, seas, ponds and up trees but I don't recall being taught the technique of swimming, I just know, does this once again have something to do with 'Water Memory?' everyone can swim, we swam into existence it is only through our formation on land that that we forget, or even fear swimming?? I'm sure most are aware of the apparent safety of letting go of a baby in water and that baby begin able to swim (not suggesting anyone should try this at home), perhaps through the memory of swimming in the womb, or the memory of our evolutionary process?


As I approach the shore and am able to touch my feet on the land below the sea I kick back and give my weight to the water, I float on the surface of the water and listen once more to the sounds beneath.. This time I am drawn to the sound of my own breath within my body... my body is completely empty, hollow, there is nothing but the breath whirling around in this hollow structure, empty only breath.. The world stops moving, in just this one moment there is nothing but my breath and the empty space within..

No comments:

Post a Comment